At Universal Quantum we are creating the impossible. Together we are creating truly impactful quantum computers. We are looking to hire a laser scientist to build and maintain optical and laser systems supporting ion-trap quantum computing. Passionate about helping create technologies which can change the world? We may be the right place for you so get in touch!
What you’ll accomplish
- Provide lasers and optics support to a team of R&D scientists developing commercial quantum computing systems.
- Install, troubleshoot and characterize commercial laser systems for trapped-ion experiments.
- Integrate complex, high precision optical sub-assemblies into higher level systems and maintain them.
- Collect and analyze data to improve subsystem robustness and key performance parameters.
- Develop electro-optical controls and laser alignment systems to ensure robust operation of quantum computers.
- Work with a multidisciplinary and experienced team of Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Physicists and Quantum Engineers.
The most critical attributes we’ll use to compare candidates
- Broad knowledge of optical principles and practices.
- Experience operating, stabilizing, and characterizing laser systems and optical cavities for precision AMO experiments.
- Experience using opto-electronic devices, control systems and instrumentation.
- Working knowledge of Python for system control, system testing, and data analysis.
- Experience designing complex optical systems.
- Ph.D. and ideally postdoc in Optics, Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, or related field.
- 5+ years (degree-inclusive) experience using and maintaining laser systems.
- 5+ years (degree-inclusive) experience with free-space optical system alignment and assembly.
- 5+ years (degree-inclusive) experience using and maintaining fiber optic components.
- 5+ years (degree-inclusive) hands-on experience utilizing electro-optical laboratory equipment (e.g., beam profilers, wavemeters, acousto- and electro-optical modulators, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with published results in field of research.
- Knowledge of Ytterbium qubits.
Competitive salary, equity options, competitive pension, private health insurance, and relocation support.